Re: server unavailable in proxy backends

--On Friday, May 05, 2006 5:37 PM -0400 Aaron Richton <richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu> wrote:

ldap-mail1: ldap1 (1), ldap2 (10), ldap3 (100), ldap4 (1000), ldap7
(1000) ldap-mail2: ldap2 (1), ldap3 (10), ldap1 (100), ldap5 (1000),
ldap8 (1000) ldap-mail3: ldap3 (1), ldap1 (10), ldap2 (100), ldap6
(1000), ldap9 (1000)

This sounds like DNS load balancing. Consider when ldap{1,2,3,4,7} are down, and therefore your entire ldap-mail1 DNS alias is toast, you still need an algorithm to drop down to ldap-mail2--which I interpreted as the question at hand, and (I think, but please point out flaws) could be addressed at the application level by any of the responses on this thread.

Yes, it is DNS load balancing, and was purely an example of what could be done.

For example, all the ldap servers could have been listed in a given ldap-mail* name, with various weights, and assuming I had some offsite servers (which I am supposed to soon), then they could also be in the pool at very high weights (say 50000), which generally would mean they'd only get sent back if they were the only ones in the pool.

Part of what is happening here, which I don't think I made clear, is that membership in the pool is controlled by a client on the ldap server. If a given ldap server (or set of ldap servers) drops into a crack opened up by an earthquake, they are no longer listed as part of the pool.

;)

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount