Re:High availability (was Re: Question about the config branch)

Hi Howard Chu,

In my original idea, the mail would be send to openldap-devel@OpenLDAP.org , but the email client only have replay not "replay all", and I forgot to add openldap-devel@OpenLDAP.org in cc.

  Please donn't mind it.

Best Regards,
Sparklezou

sparklezou wrote:
Hello Howard Chu,

In fact, Iwould like to implement HA using replicate. Today I found
that there is an session discussed before about this topic.http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200310/msg00068.html And the idea descriped is something the same with mine.

Yes, this has been discussed before on the -devel list and any further discussion belongs there as well, not in private email, to allow the effort to be coordinated with other project members.
     I want to implement as following:

(1)

 Client                   Master                Slave
   |------ modify(0) -->    |                     |
   |                        | --- modify(1) --->  |
   |                        |                     |
   |                        | <--- SUCCESS -----  |
   |                        |                     |
   | <---- SUCCESS  -----   |                     |

(2)
Client Slave
Master
|------ modify(0) --> | (Chaining the modify request to Master)

| | --- modify(0)
-------------------------------> |
| |

| |

| |Master update the data,and try to update
Slave |
| | <--- modify (1)----------------------------
- |
| |

|------------SUCCESS(1)-----------------------> |
| |

|<------------SUCCESS(0)----------------------- |
| |

| <---- SUCCESS(0)----- |

But current implemented in OpenLdap2.3 is:

(3)

 Client                   Master                Slave
   |------ modify(0) -->    |                     |
   |<---- SUCCESS(0) -----  |                     |
   |                        |                     |
   |-Query the entry again->|                     |
   |                        | --- modify(1) --->  |
   |                        |                     |
   |                        | <--- SUCCESS(1)---- |
   |                        |                     |

(4)
Client Slave
Master
|------ modify(0) --> | (Chaining the modify request to Master)

| | --- modify(0)
-------------------------------> |
| |

| |

|<------------SUCCESS(0)----------------------- |
| |

| <---- SUCCESS(0)----- |

| |

|------------Query the entry on Master
again----------------------------->|
| |

| |

| |

| | <----------- modify(1)
------------------------|
| |

It's a NOT good solution to implement the HA, because the data is not
keep sync always.

I would like to join replicate develop team to do it.

And I want to implement failover dynamicly. If the master is down, one
of the slaves will be the master.

So I want to add some more entrys in the configure branch to let the DS
know how many DSs are in the same cluster. Master and Slaves know each other. And currently in OpneLdap, the Master don't know how many Slaves; the Slave only know where is Master, but don't know another Slavers.

So I would like to join OpenLdap to implement these functions.