syslog level or (open)ldap level?

Recently, while trying to fix what I considered a bug, I changed the
parsing of slapd's '-s' option to reflect what was my interpretation of
the slapd(8) man page, i.e. tell slapd to log at a certain syslog level
(LOG_* according to syslog(3)).  In fact, in the sources, the variable
ldap_syslog_level is initialized to LOG_DEBUG which seems pretty safe.
However, the tests set it to 0 (in scripts/defines.sh:
SLAPD="../servers/slapd/slapd -s0") which, at least on my Linux box, means
LOG_EMERG, i.e. everything gets sent to every console.  Could anybody
clarify if my interpretation of '-s' is correct, and if syslog's numerical
values are portable?  I'll definitely write a friendly parser for -s,
though.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution