Tracking of regressions...

In some cases it may be worth providing some regression tracking
mechanism.  I'm thinking of a specific test section where isolated bugs
are listed (typically by ITS) with a test script that reproduces the
issue condition.  This would be desirable because recently we had a
couple of regression issues (ITS#4257 as a re-surfacing of ITS#4077, my
fault; ITS#4259) which would have already been detected if a test were
dedicated to their replay.  In some cases, I try to augment existing
tests with issues resulting from bug fixing (recently, for example, in
test006 for exact and regex value match ACLs).  Another example is (the
yet unfixed) ITS#4184: the user reported a very detailed yet simple test
case that allows to reproduce the lock condition very easily; I'd love
to turn that issue report into a test (and I'm going to).

Of course the execution of those tests should be optional; the idea is
that it's fine if they pass in a reasonable number of combinations of
configurations and systems before any software is released, left to
voluntary evaluation (by ourselves, with feedback from any user welcome
as usual).

Comments?

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati