Re: commit: ldap/clients/tools common.c common.h

Pierangelo Masarati writes:
>On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 05:29 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>> Yes.  Given that matched and DN come from non-optional
>> protocol fields where empty indicates no value (ugh),
>> we should return NULL instead of ->"".
>
> I suggest we start experimenting with HEAD by adding a
> LDAP_NULL_IS_NULL macro that's defined #ifdef LDAP_DEVEL.

The C API has quite a number of quirks.  I do not think this change
alone is enough of an improvement to be worth the breakage it risks in
existing correct clients - even if it fixes a number of existing broken
clients.

If the API changes a small change now and a small change then, it can be
hard for client maintainers to keep track.  A safer way - either for
just this change or whatever collection of changes we come up with for
now - might be to enable it through something like ldap_set_option(,
LDAP_X_API_USER_OPTIONS, &<bit flag of changes from the original>).

(Bye for now, diving back to a bunch of internet-drafts which I should
have been going through:-)

--
Hallvard