Re: order of attribute values

At 12:32 PM 10/13/2005, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>You are correct.  However, Stanford had need of ordering of attributes, and hired Symas to develop an overlay that allowed you to weight or sort attributes.  See the man page in the 2.3.11 release on slapo-valsort (It has been present since 2.3.7 and later).

Note that for a client to rely on any such ordering it
needs to know somehow that the server is providing that
ordering.  Otherwise, the ordering is for not.

Hence my suggestion that clients only rely on such
ordering when they explicitly requests that ordering
and the server explicitly acknowledges that it will
(or has) honored that request.  Otherwise the client
should make no assumptions beyond what LDAP provides
for.

Kurt