Re: overlays (was: commit: ldap/doc/man/man5 slapd.conf.5)

> hallvard@OpenLDAP.org writes:
>> 	slapd.conf.5  1.206 -> 1.207
>> Add OVERLAYS section
>
> I forgot to ask about a few things:

I'd answer: when does an overlay move from experimental to production
ready?  I'm currently stress-testing some of the overlays you listed below
as experimental on different architectures, in view of their use in
production, and they work just fine, so I'd promote them ASAP.

> - Which overlays are experimental?  That should be documented.
>
>   slapd/overlays/README says "some project-maintained, some not.
>   Some are generally usable, others are purely experimental."
>

> - pcache is configured with --enable-proxycache instead of
>   "--enable-pcache" (and has #ifddef SLAPD_OVER_PROXYCACHE).
>
>   I suggest either the overlay or the config option is renamed.

I think these are leftovers from previous cleanup, where the
proxycache/pcache issue was solved in favor of pcache.  So please go
ahead.

> - Am I right that these comments should be added? I have not tested:
>
>   slapo-dynlist(5):
>     On databases that support indexing, it is helpful to set up
>     indexes for the searches specified in the group URIs.
>
>   slapo-refint(5):
>     On databases that support indexing, it is helpful to set an eq
>     index on the attributes being maintained by this overlay.
>
>   slapo-unique(5):
>     On databases that support indexing, it is helpful to set an eq
>     index on the attributes being checked by this overlay.

I think this is trivial; I do not oppose, but it sounds much like "plug-in
before switching the computer on"...

> - accesslog is not initialized in overlays/overlays.c.
>   It can only be used with moduleload after --enable-accesslog=mod.
>   Not sure if that should be changed or documented.
>   Some other overlays also have comments that they are to be used
>   that way, but they can be used without doing so anyway.

I think it should as soon as it "freezes" (I'd let Howard initialize it).

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it