Re: (ITS#3748) back-config: creating a new database requires restarting slapd

[suggest we keep this discussion on -devel while it boils down :)]

> Currently it doesn't seem to be possible to create and use a new database
> (bdb
> or whatever) without restarting the server. Is that correct?
> If I understand things correctly backend_startup_one() should to be called
> after
> an "olcDatabase"-entry was added. But currently bconfig doesn't seem to
> provide
> hooks for that. Am I correct with that or did I miss something?

I haven't checked with back-bdb and about backend_startup_one() hooks in
bconfig, but I've been able to create a back-ldap from an empty slapd.conf
recently,. just:

database        config
rootpw          secret

I guess the same is possible for back-bdb although I haven't treid lately.
 I remember discussion about the need for existing directories and so as
opposed to the capability of back-config to create them under some
circumstances.  I might need to read a recent version of the docs.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it