Some interesting thoughts

I've been having a discussion in #ldap with a Netscape user, and they have a few things in Netscape features that make them prefer it over OpenLDAP.

1) Database backups as part of a scheduled job. It creates a backup of the *.bdb files in a dated directory in the specified location. Given the changes today to HEAD to allow architecture & release independence of DB creation, this should be a snap, now that we have a job scheduler.

2) Replica initialization/re-initialization from the master - If you create an attribute "ndsReplicaRefresh" with a hostname as the value in the job class, it will reload that replica's DB, by sending binary indexes over the wire, and then removes the attributes from the job scheduler. I can only see this working if the master & replica agree on their indexing, however. It also doesn't replicate the replica specific configuration options.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html