Move SLAPI in an overlay...

I'm investigating the possibility to move SLAPI code in a (global)
overlay, to streamline a bit the frontend code.  One issue I'm facing
right now is that SLAPI is used inside ACL checking, so, to provide the
appropriate code placement, I'm adding a backend call for access checking
which will later allow for further specialization and customization of
access checking via the native APIs.

I have the baseline code back to work after some struggling, and hope to
be able to test an overlay with access checking set up quite soon.

One point that puzzles me is that access checking can be very resource
intensive if it's not carefully tailored, because it can be called many
many times per operation.  So I wonder if copying the BackendDB structure
at any backover call is really mandatory or could be avoided (e.g. if we
accept the limitation that ACL checking must not change the op->o_bd
structure, or at least change it in a reversible manner...)

The rest of SLAPI isolation should be pretty straightforward.

I'll file an ITS as soon as I've something suitable for commit.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it