Re: More granular privileges in ACLs (Was: (ITS#3625) [enhancement] per-operation ACLs)

At 09:24 AM 4/2/2005, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>At 08:56 AM 4/2/2005, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>>I see that you talk of both value and entry permissions.
>>>We already have separation of entry add/delete from attribute
>>>add/delete from value add/delete.
>>Yes.  What we may need is, among these already well-separated areas, extra granularity (e.g. add vs. delete; what about "a" and "z", for "zap"?).
>
>I think a strong argument can be made that add v delete separation
>would be good to add.  I note that we already have some ways
>of controlling add versus delete at the entry level, and even
>incomplete ways at the the attribute level.  (e.g., filters).
>
>>>I don't think we need
>>>another way to distinguish entry v. attribute v. value
>>>permissions.
>>In fact, "add" and "delete" assume different meanings when applied to an attribute or to "entry" (or to "children").  We don't need to mimic too much other specifications, provided ours is clear enough (I think it is, right now, even if it appears to be yet a bit hard for some users/admins).
>>
>>>I see no reason to split "manage" (manage the DSA IT), at
>>>least not yet.
>>My point (not clear enough, I guess) was to incorporate in the "manage" level all operations that usually require a very high level of privilege (or are not allowed); my interpretation of "import" and "export" is something close to "rename" across databases/DSAs, so I'd incorporate in "manage" the primary purpose of manageDSAit, plus renaming across databases/DSAs, subtree deletion (whenever we're able to specify it), non-leaf renaming and so on.  At this point, fine grain privileges may be desirable to split out what type of operations within the "manage" level one can do.
>
>All the plus things you name should require manage DSA IT permissions.

s/should/should not/

I understand that your point is that you want to expand "manage"
to include items that "require a very level of privilege",
but I don't see why "import"/"export" or "rename" accross
databases/DSAs would require such a very level of priviledge.
These are actions are not all that exceptional DIT modifications.
That is, the DIT model doesn't disallow them.  What I mean
"manage" to do things that require a DIT model override.