Re: logfile directive and timestamps (was: redirect / disable logging)

--On Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:12 PM +0100 Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
--On Monday, March 14, 2005 11:45 PM +0100 Hallvard B Furuseth
<h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:
(...)
I'd like a slapd.conf option to:

- log directly to a file in order to avoid the overhead with
  communication with the syslog daemon,

- allow buffered output to the file instead of line by line output,
(...)

Interesting idea, but the write overhead is going to be a hit no matter how you handle it.

Two hits can be avoided: Syslog's line buffering to the log file, and the communication with the syslog process.

At least on linux, you can use asynchronous
logging.  In some testing I did, I found that there was no difference
between loglevel 0 and loglevel 256 when asynchronous syslog was used.

Thanks, I didn't know about asynchronous logging. Will try when I have time to set up a test machine where I can risk running slapd+syslog into the ground.

BTW, anyone got a test program which bombards slapd with configurable
search requests and has some fantasy about varying search parameters and
how many outstanding requests and connections to have at the same time?

Check out slamd.

<http://www.slamd.com/>

--Quanah

--