unbind - abandon in the backend ..... what's the difference ?

As everybody may know I'm the guy playin' around with the Perl Backend.
Looking at the single operations implemented in the backend I monitored a little bit the bind - unbind activity.

Well I got a big surprise, the "unbind" operation is nearly always combined with an "abandon" operation. I am speaking of the backend of course.
So what I am wondered about is that using the same code in the client, in the OpenLDAP backend arrives sometime "unbind+abandon" and sometime "unbind" only. Why ?

thx a lot
reinhard