dropping back-ldbm (was: commit: ldap/servers/slapd connection.c)

Pierangelo Masarati writes:
>Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
>
>> Since LDBM is kind of deprecated in favor of BDB, etc, at what point
>> does OL simply drop LDBM?  Would it in particular simplify things?
>
> I wouldn't consider this an option yet.

I wouldn't consider it an option until BDB is as easy to configure as
LDBM is, if that ever happens.

Maybe it would be possible to provide a BDB configuration which is easy
to tweak because it disables features which makes BDB superior to LDBM
but need to be configured in some way?

> We may need a fallback solution
> in case any issue (even deployment-specific) occurs.

Maybe we've just have had bad timing, but so far BDB has had issues
every time we have had time to look at switching to BDB at our site.
E.g. one time I think we needed to apply some patch to Sleepycat in
order to turn off transaction logging in slapadd.

Anyway, LDBM works for us - a read-only database which is built
regularly from scratch - so upgrading is a low priority.

--
Hallvard