Re: syncrepl simplification

At 09:19 PM 1/12/2005, Howard Chu wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>
>>The rationale, I believe, for multiple consumer contexts
>>within a database context was that administrators could state
>>different consumer policies for different areas of the DIT.
>>
>I'll have to think about that some more.

I've been, too.  In particular, I think the above rationale more
applies to provider contexts, where one might want to have different
server handling of different requests.  For instance, one might
want to have one area covered by a session log and one area not.

On the consumer side, we just just require additional
database contexts where the admin desires different consumer
policies.

>To me, it still sounds like a recipe for disaster. If the separate consumer contexts are talking to different providers, then you have the cascade problem I mentioned before. If the contexts are all pulling from the same provider, then I guess it works. I still don't see any rationale for the updatedn on the consumer; surely any data that the provider returns must satisfy the consumer criteria and therefore must be reflected into the consumer DB.

I concur with regards to the updatedn.  Also, we need to revisit
consumer ACLs.  Seems odd to me that syncrepl consumer needs
permission to write into its own database.

Kurt