Dnyamic Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd entry.c proto-slap.h slap.h zn_malloc.c

latency of the application-level entry caching. It enables autonomic
management of the degree of entry caching which can dynamically adapt to
changing availability of memory in the system. In addition, because of the

This sounds interesting. Problem I've always found with schemes like this is the lack of a system-wide policy for memory usage. e.g. your mechanism appears to have slapd say 'hey, seems to be paging going on, let's shrink my caches so that paging stops'. For some situations this would be the right thing to do, but in other cases it wouldn't (e.g. when the 'right thing' is for slapd to have all the memory it wants, but the filesystem cache should shrink or Oracle should shrink).

Mostly I've encountered deployments where the server
I develop is the only major application running on the
machine, and in that case the filesystem cache is enemy #1
(on some OS'es it'll do crazy things like cache the contents
of the transaction log files, which by definition will never be
read ever again). Battling the filesystem cache, and the
VM system (e.g. Solaris will engage in a frenzy of
write-back from the BDB page pool region to the backing
file unless you park it in a tmpfs filesystem) for control of
physical memory has always been a pain.

However, in the scenarios that you're designing for, where
there are many applications and possibly many OS instances
on the same machine, the lack of system-wide enforcable
memory policy seems to be even more problematic.

I guess I wondered if you'd considered asking for kernel
enhancements to 'fix' this problem ? I'm thinking of a mechanism
where applications are registered with a central memory
policy arbiter. The sysadmin configures that thing: filesystem
cache is allowed 1/2 of all physical memory, and more if
no other application wants to use it; slapd is allocated a
minumum of 1Gbyte, and more if it's free, split 50:50 with
the filesystem cache; Oracle gets 500Meg and no more; etc etc.
Then the application can interact with the kernel such that
the policy is enforced: it can request memory with some
flags indicating whether this memory is permanent or shrinkable,
and then if shrinkage is required the kernel can inform the application
that it needs to free up some non-permanent memory.

Mechanisms like this already exist inside OS'es (primarily for
filesystem cache dynamic sizing), but I've never seen this done
in userland. Perhaps these things are available in mainframe OS'es ?

BTW, I'm not sure I understand the distinction you draw between
the entry cache and the BDB page pool with respect to VM and paging
in your paper: they're basically both the same --- physical memory
that user-space code allocates. The page pool can be configured
such that it's backed by a region file as opposed to a system page file.
Is that the difference ? I guess I'm not sure why this is significant because
write-back happens in both cases, doesn't it ? e.g. when a page is read
by BDB from a data file into the page pool, it'll get written back to the
backing file (the region file in this case) just the same as when slapd
malloc's the memory for a new entry in the entry cache.
Under memory pressure, the physical pages occupied by mpool
and by entry cache are treated identically, no ? (they'd get paged out
and a recently created page in the mpool would be just as dirty
as a recently created entry in the entry cache, so they'd both need
written back). Were you thinking that the mpool maps the BDB
data files directly ? It doesn't work that way, except in certain
limited cases, when the database is marked as read-only.
The difference between slapd's AVL-tree access method and
BDB's hashing in the mpool probably will help reduce the
number of pages touched per access though.
Anyway, I was just curious as to what I was missing here,
because I've sure seen plenty of paging caused by too-large
mpool configured ;)