Re: syncrepl ramblings again

I basically concur.... except I don't think Persistent Search (psearch),
by itself, is all that useful.  As LDAPsync does everything psearch does
(and LDAPsync is at least an (experimental) RFC-to-be) and much, much
more, I rather see implemented across as many backends as possible.

I also would like to see all (storage) backends support UUIDs/CSNs
regardless of whether they support syncrepl or not.  These are useful in
numerous applications (even those based on simple searches).  I note that
the 'last committed CSN' need not be persistent.  The server can simply
grab a new CSN at startup and use that as the last committed CSN (as it
will be guaranteed to be greater than any committed CSN).

I'd also like to see syncrepl consumer extended to support other content
synchronization methods than LDAPsync so that slapd(8) can be a slave
of most any LDAP server.   For instance, it would be great if one could
setup a consumer to use simple LDAP searches (using time stamps to minimize
traffic) to suck data of some non-LDAPsync provider)...  or suck entries
out of a changelog... or whatever.