Re: back-bdb deadlocks?

> > In my box, slapd still works fine after removing log files while it is
> > running. Isn't it that the persistent (long-lived) transaction do not
have
> > any updates ? Howard, which behavior did you observe in your setup ?
>
> You're mounting a sabotage attack on the server by
> removing the transaction log files. Generally software
> isn't designed to resist the active efforts of the user
> to attack it.
>
> By 'working fine' did you include a test where you
> subject the server to a heavy update operation load,
> and while it's processing that, delete the txn logs,
> and then switch off the power ?
>
> When it comes back up, recovery will be impossible
> and you'll have lost data.
>
> If by 'works fine', you aren't worried about loosing data,
> then I'd agree with you.

My definition of 'working fine' is that db_archive showed the log files
starting from the first log (log.0*1) were safe to be removed. As expected,
after removing those files, slapd just worked fine. I didn't try to pull the
plugs out of the wall though. Why db_archive reported the logs can be
removed/archived in my box unlike in Howard's ? that I'm unsure of.
- Jong-Hyuk