[Date Prev][Date Next]
RE: distributed LDAP Re: performance
- To: "Howard Chu" <email@example.com>
- Subject: RE: distributed LDAP Re: performance
- From: "Bengt Hammarlin" <Bengt.Hammarlin@mobeon.com>
- Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:55:39 +0200
- Cc: <OpenLDAP-devel@OpenLDAP.org>
- Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
- Thread-index: AcRoW2O9BAtfsH6wTpGiY7vn5CuBIQBE2Jew
- Thread-topic: distributed LDAP Re: performance
> I am looking at ways to extend the performance of LDAP on large
> databases without throwing hardware at the problem. My instinctive
> solution would be some sort of distributed database.
How is that different from "throwing hardware at the problem?" Obviously
to have a distributed database you must use even more hardware.
A larger box costs more per MIPS than a smaller and it costs more to
upgrade in small increments.
To increment with a distributed solution you add comodity hardware. You
are also in theory less affected by hardware failures.