Re: commit: ldap/clients/tools ldapsearch.c

> Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>
>> I'm presently thinking it better to lower the effective limit
>> to the hard limit instead of treating the too high limit
>> request as an (adminLimitExceeded or like) error.
>
> Doesn't that sort of negate the purpose of the AdminLimitExceeded error
> code then?

It's gotten when the unckeched limit is exceeded.

With respect to the hard limit, if you see the client's request as
mandatory, i.e. that or nothing, admin limit exceeded would be
appropriate; if you see the client's request as a suggestion,
i.e. that's preferred, otherwise what's available, then size limit
is better than nothing.  In either case, now we have a means
to get as much as possible anyway, i.e. the "max" mechanism:
we hijacked the "maxInt" value for the limits to indicate that
as much as possible (time, size) should be returned; otherwise
one should try increasing the request until the limit is hit!.

Ando.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it