Re: libtool .la hack

At 12:19 AM 4/21/2004, vserge wrote:
>Hi
>
>You are wrote "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:28:19
>-0700:
>
>> I recently hacked libtool (distributed with OpenLDAP) so
>> that it doesn't look for .la files in the library search
>> directories...  this means that -static only causes
>> OpenLDAP libraries to be statically linked (as intended).
>
>I think it's not good idea? becose many Linux distrib use dynamic linked
>libraries.

Yes.  This change allows OpenLDAP executables to make use of
dependent shared libraries (e.g., -ldb, -lsasl) when linked
with libtool's -static option (the default).  Previously,
if the environment included a .la for the dependent library
(e.g., libdb.la libsasl.la) then -static would cause the
static version of the library to be used.   That is,
-static was not properly be restricting to OpenLDAP
provided libraries.

>and changelog is
>* Wed Dec 03 2003 Dmitry V. Levin <ldv at altlinux.org> 2.1.23-alt3
>- libldap-devel: do not package .la files.
>- openldap-servers: purge dependency_libs from .la files.

This change has no impact upon which .la files are installed.

>> Anyone notice any bad side effects?

If you still think the change has a bad side effect,
please elaborate more.

Kurt