ordering indexing

Speaking of which... I never found any order-preserving hash functions that I
could see being generally applicable here, but we could certainly do some
indexing for specific syntaxes that represent timestamps and other limited
size/range values. (I.e., we can crunch their normalized value directly into
a 32 or 64 bit integer losslessly.)

One gotcha here is that we would need to avoid overlapping/clashing with the
current hashed index key space. It kinda implies resurrecting the use of
subdatabases, which may not be a safe thing to do. Thoughts?