RE: Overlay Documentation

... and things like returning the rootDSE could be moved to the overlay
mech, installed by default, so that other overlays could be stacked on it
as well.

> The only other sticking point is in post-operation processing. The
> current send_ldap_response() callback mechanism works well as long as
> you don't need write access to the current entry.

Usually, for read operations, if required I duplicate the entry.
I haven't felt the need of post-op in writes yet, but it might be an
interesting feature.

> Otherwise, you get a
> deadlock situation if the caller hasn't released its locks before
> calling send_ldap_result(). (This is the problem with back-ldbm
> deadlocking on ppolicy Binds.) In this case, we need to add hooks to the
> frontend, the same way SLAPI does now.

Right.  Or backends should send results with entries still write-locked,
and allow overlays to play with the lock and finally release it, or do it
themselves if it didn't happen yet.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati