Re: soname of libldap in openldap2.2

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 01:11:21PM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> At 01:40 AM 1/7/2004, Masato Taruishi wrote:
> >Does 202 stand for 2.2?
>
> No.  But its derived from 2.2.  That is, don't expect there
> to be direct relationship between library interface versioning
> and release versioning.

But it looks inconsistent:

release		ol_api_lib	library suffix	soname suffix
2.2.3beta	2:203:0		.2.0.203	.2
2.2.4		202:4:0		.202.0.4	.202
2.2.5		202:4:1		.201.1.4	.201
2.2.6		202:4:3		.199.3.4	.199

So even if you believe the soname has to be bumped from .2 to .202 it
shouldn't probably change with every minor version change.

With this new pattern for ol_api_lib you may want to replace
-version-info with -version-number (will require updating libtool to
1.5+).

Still could you please remind the reason to change the .so versioning
scheme?  I haven't found anything relevant on the OpenLDAP site.

  Roman.