RE: backend private data

The be_private pointer is just that, private to each backend. The slapd
frontend doesn't know anything about what it points to. In back-ldap it's
created in init.c:ldap_back_db_init(); most other backends do a similar
thing. The db_init routines are called during slapd startup, long before any
request processing occurs.