RE: Getting OpenLDAP to auth users against sambaNTPassword

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 19:25, Howard Chu wrote:
> [...]

This certainly sounds like a good long-term solution.  However, what can
we do short-term?  Being able to use pam_ldap/mod_auth_ldap et al - no
matter how bad in theory - is a very valuable thing in current Linux
deployments.

Being able to use existing LDAP tools on the directory, being able to
'tack on' Linux workstations into your newly migrated Samba
installations is the kind of thing I want people to be able to do.  (And
not need to run pam_winbind on each client...)

With the release of Samba 3.0, we will be getting a lot more people
trying to get Samba/OpenLDAP working as a corporate directory solution.
I'm hoping that will bring a lot more people to Linux/Samba/OpenLDAP
directory services installations.
What I'm wondering is what we can do to make their life sane?

If the SASL mechanism doesn't need to use userPassword, could a
{NT}sambaNTpassword password scheme also do the same job?  Or is this
only in OpenLDAP 2.2?

Yes, I'm probably asking for short-term, Samba-specific hacks, in
whatever version of OpenLDAP will reach users the soonest.  I also
realize that this is a problem.  That said, our users and admins will
greatly appreciate any effort we can make here...

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet@pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet@samba.org