RE: String conversions UTF8 <-> ISO-8859-1

> > Given that utilities like iconv and such exist, I think this is best

> > left as an exercise for the reader.
>
> If by 'the reader' you mean 'the user', I don't like that.
> If you mean 'the applicaton', I disagree just as strongly: It
> just leads to American/English-written applications that
> don't bother to handle character sets.  Like ldapsearch.  If
> the library offered character set handling, then applications
> could easily get character set handling, and they wouldn't
> all have to reinvent the wheel.  Besides, iconv is a program,
> not a library.  What applications need is library support for
> character set handling, not some program they must pipe all
> I/O through.

Have a look at the Apache Portable Runtime Project
(http://apr.apache.org). There is a project called apr-iconv and is
exactly what you'd like to have: iconv as a library and portable.
In my next slice of free time, I will check that out and have a go for.

Patrick