Re: String conversions UTF8 <-> ISO-8859-1

At 11:00 PM 4/28/2003, Michael Ströder wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>At 01:14 AM 4/28/2003, Patrick Dreyer, SY-UCP wrote:
>>
>>>The OpenLDAP client supports some kind of string conversions
>>>but lacks supporting conversions between UTF8 <-> ISO-8859-1.
>>Personally, I rather not attempt to support additional
>>character set conversions.
>
>And wouldn't it be necessary to have schema knowledge to determine whether the conversion is applicable at all?

Yes.  I assume applications calling such functions do so with
knowledge of schema.  I don't think the original poster suggested
that the LDAP library should automatically provide transcoding.
If so, then I would be against it on the grounds that -lldap is
not schema aware and shouldn't be.  It's a low-level LDAP API.

Kurt