RE: aliases

Howard Chu writes:
>> From: Hallvard B Furuseth [mailto:h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no]
>>
>> I guess dereferencing aliases in another database is out of the
>> question?
>
> Beyond present consideration, yes. It would be possible to push alias
> processing into the frontend, but it would add a lot of overhead; the
> frontend would need to keep a list of all DNs processed so that it could
> prune duplicates and cycles. This would use up a lot more memory than just
> the candidate ID lists that are currently used in the backend.

I think that can be avoided, but it feels pretty hairy so I expect that
is even farther beyond present consideration:

The backend processes all the aliases it can, and then returns to the
frontend the search results, the aliases to outside its database, and
the data structure it used to prune duplicates and cycles.  If the alias
dereferencing ends up calling the same backend again, the frontend
passes the backend's data structure back to it, so the backend can keep
pruning cycles and duplicates.  After the search is completed, the data
structure is passed to the backend again so it can be freed.

--
Hallvard