versioning

Howard,

I had to back out your changes to build/mkrelease as that's
script is ran after the release tag has already been laid.

I'm thinking a better approach would be to have a file
which defined a number of simple variables using a "common"
(and simple) format and then have both the autoconf and MSVC
(and other) build systems can call.  If we use a format:
	VARIABLE=VALUE

we should be able to use them from either build system
without too much hassle.  With MSVC, we could load the
variables via a MSVC Makefile or via setup.bat (or
version.bat?).  With autoconf, we can suck these into
configure without too much hassle.

Thoughts?

Kurt

PS: And, no, I don't currently have MSVC available to me.