RE: back-bdb future

Before we go down that path, what do you think about using a lock timeout?
(Have you already tried this?) You can set a separate timeout in the DB_ENV
for txn locks and regular locks. I suggest we only set one or the other.
Setting a timeout for the txn  locks may be easiest, because we already have
the retry logic in place.