RE: back-bdb future

yes... so it shouldn't be too painful to benchmark all 3.

> >However, your point about DB overhead probably still stands.
>
> In back-bdb, that overhead will likely have to be increased due
> to read transactions.   The only way I can see to resolve the
> read deadlock problems otherwise would be to ensure backend
> is never reading and writing at the same time.

Do we still have read deadlock problems? I haven't seen any. I believe read
transactions can only hurt things, because locks are held for the life of the
transaction. Reads outside of transactions release their locks right away,
which assures that their locks cause the least possible interference.