back-perl suggestions

I have a couple of thoughts on modifications to back-perl and a
general question about the backend-api:

Suggestions:

   1. Return an array reference [$return_code,$error_message] from
   backend methods instead of just a scalar return_code.

   2. Use Net::LDAP entry objects (or similar structures) to pass
   entry data back to the caller -- would save quite a bit of copying.

   3. Pass a reference to the connection object to the perl methods
   and include enough XSUB-code to let the backend dig out info
   about the connection.

Most of these will break the current api. I guess that means that a
new perl-backend would have to be created, right?

Question:

   What about per-connection backend-private data?

Cheers Leif