RE: gentlehup

That's taking things a step further than I was considering. We would need
to pass a bit of session context - authenticated/bind DN, authz backend, etc.
as well. Possibly the authz backend was de-configured/moved to a new server,
in which case the session cannot validly continue on the new instance.

Let me restate the purpose - to allow reconfiguring and restarting the LDAP
service without creating a window where no service is available. I.e., no
client should ever see the TCP error "connection refused" due to the
transition.
But I'm OK with the client getting an LDAP error LDAP_UNAVAILABLE or
LDAP_UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM that forces the client to unbind and rebind.