RE: EBCDIC

The OS/390 compiler assumes the source code is written in codepage IBM-1047.
setlocale()
and iconv() can be used to deal with the variants.

This may not be so bad, the compiler has an option to generate string
constants in ASCII. So building the server with all-UTF8 internals is only a
matter of translating a couple interfaces:
   System input in EBCDIC to ASCII: read_config, argv
   Server output in ASCII to EBCDIC: debug, log
Also runtime functions that expect EBCDIC arguments will need translation
(gethostbyname, open, etc...) and ctype would have to be replaced with an
ASCII version.