external authentication in openldap

Hi ,
i was browsing through the mailing lists and didn't find anything usefull, so maybe someone can answer my question:
i am trying to set up an openldap (or netscape ldap) server , that holds the user data, but not the passwords. the authentication should actually be done by a third party, but transparent to the applications that use the ldap server to authenticate. so what i basically need is a way to maybe change the bind() routine.... i also heared something about authentication plugins for the netscape ldap (and it is not clear to me if at the end the same plugins will work in openldap ). What about a plugin api for ldap ???
Can someone help me ;)
Thanx,
Jan.