Re: Default Pretty Form of DNs

At 09:37 AM 2001-12-24, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

>> >I modified the dn parsing/handling code to leave untouched the
>> >UTF-8 stuff when PRETTY job is required; otherwise all non-ascii
>> >and the WILLESCAPE chars are escaped.
>>
>>   dntest "cn=\20"
>>   dntest "cn=\ "
>>
>> both should return "cn=\20".  In fact, the \xx (hexpair) form
>> should be used when ever and where ever LDAPv3 escaping is needed.
>
>That's fine for me; however I'd prefer to use the escaped ascii
>form in the "pretty" version because it is more readable and makes
>the string as short as possible; I'll turn all the other escapes
>in hex form and leave an option for the pretty form.
>
>Ando.

I prefer the hexpair form as it makes a number of DN string
manipulations much easier.  For example, issuffix needs to
check that it's splitting at a separator.  If hexpair's are
used, then it just needs to check for ',' at the split.
But if "\," and '\\' are allowed to appear, one needs to
do more checks.  As a compromise, I'd be happy if "\5C" was
used instead of "\\".

Kurt