RE: Thinking about operational attribute numSubordinates...

It's an interesting idea. There was a patch for this in the 1.x source, a
long time ago, but it broke (neglect and victim of progress) and was never
fixed up. I think there was also some ambiguity about whether it should
report just the immediate children, or the entire subtree count.