Re: Need new replica configuration without shutting down slapd

>> What alternative is there to get at all the attributes (including
>> operational attributes like creationTimeStamp) of a database? I need a way
>> to essentially create a replication log for the entire database. May be
>> slurpd can do a "normal" ldap search on the localhost with a special
>> control?

> Well as you already noted, you can use ldapsearch. I forgot that back-ldbm
> also has a "dbnolocking" config keyword which can be used to turn off
> locking for the database. I suppose you could run with this if you needed
> to, although you open the door to a host of unknown troubles using this.

Actually, for now I would prefer to use ldapsearch till IBM's NSAPI code
gets integrated. To avoid races in replication I may have to depend on
searching for entries modified before/after a certain timestamp.

> back-bdb in the HEAD stream is getting closer to maturity. It supports finer
> grained locking than back-ldbm, so it's feasible for other tools to operate
> on the database while slapd runs. However, the code for this backend is in a
> fairly continual state of flux, so I can't recommend it for anything more
> than experimentation at this point. (But if you'd like to bang on it and see
> where it falls apart, go ahead......)

I have been watching your posts on performance comparisons with back-ldbm
with interest. I think you mentioned that the last numbers you posted were
bogus; any updates on them yet? Our requirement for OpenLDAP in production
is atleast six months away so, I am keen on using back-bdb with
transactions.

Ganesan