Accessing LDAP attributes inside slapd

Hi,

I want to store some (possibly backend specific) configuration information
as ldap attributes. What's the best way to get at this information within
slapd.

I cannot use the backend search routine because it's needs information about
the connection etc which doesn't exist. In any case the backend search
routine calls send_ldap_result() directly, so that's not very
useful. bi_tool_entry_get() seems to be the closest to what I need; however
there is no way to find the entry I need without iterating through the whole
list of entries.

I actually need two capabilities, first to retrieve an entry given the dn
(possibly specified in the config file) and second to search for entries of
a specified objectclass. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this?

Ganesan