Improving OpenLDAP Replication

Hi,

I am looking at multi-master replication with OpenLDAP and looking at ways
to overcome some of the disadvantages of the current model.  I know Kurt
believes that LCUP is the better way to proceed, but that task is a bit too
complex for me right now.

The biggest problem is that replication configuration is manual. This is
especially a problem with multi-master replication because every time you
add a new replica you need modify slapd.conf of _all_ replicas and restart
all slapd and slurpd instances. I am planning to make changes so that
replica information is stored in the database instead of a separate
configuration file. This allows replica addition to be a write to an object
in LDAP, all hosts can know about the addition by monitoring changes to a
"special" attribute and reconfigure their replica list.

Any suggestions, criticisms?

Ganesan

--
Ganesan R (rganesan@debian.org>)     | http://www.debian.org/~rganesan/
1024D/5D8C12EA, fingerprint F361 84F1 8D82 32E7 1832  6798 15E0 02BA 5D8C 12EA