ldbm cache operation...

hi,

I want to understand how the cache is implemented for ldbm backend.
please let me know if this is the right alias.
I am running some tests using the openldap 2.0.11 with berkeley db
3.2.9. in the test, I am searching same entry in the loop. I enabled the
debugs on the ldap server and found that ldbm_cache_open is done every
time a search request is received. So I wanted to find out what this
open means?

looks like cache is implemented using a file. Is this true? may be that
is the reason I see disk access  for every search request. are these
read access only or involve some writes also?

Thanks,
-anish