RE: should one single search be able to encompass several databases?

At 01:28 PM 7/19/2001, Mark Whitehouse wrote:
>I like Kurt's proposal this is exactly what I have been looking for.  How is
>this different from back-meta?

Meta directory services generally refer to a capability to construct
an entry from multiple sources.  Virtual directory services generally
refer to a capability to present an entry in multiple ways. One can
combine the two in different ways to achieve different goals.

The ability to layer backends will facilate the development of both
meta and virtual services, as well as other services such as chaining
between backends.  Here I envision a backend which manages other
backends as a single naming context and provides chaining between
them.

>I would be willing to contribute some resources (i.e. development time) to
>help get this done...  Who if anyone is working on this

not yet.