From: Peter W [mailto:peterw@usa.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 11:27 AM
To: openldap-devel@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: logging: audit/error option (not just debugging output)?

On openldap-software I asked about loglevel settings that would make
OpenLDAP 2.0.11 log only exceptional events, like start/stop/errors.
 http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200107/msg00351.html

Another user echoed that he'd like some auditing options, e.g. logging
connections to the server
 http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200107/msg00352.html

I added that logging unusual things like bind/authentication failures would
be desirable
 http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200107/msg00353.html

But nobody else chimed in. Is there interest in making/offering some less
"chatty" logging options? Not to get bogged down in implementation details,
but I imagine this as another compile-time option, so users who wanted the
best performance could compile with no logging, developers might compile
with debug logging, but others might compile with a new "audit" logging
capacity. Audit logging could be very simple to add if users were not able
to add both "debug" and "audit" logging. The audit log facility could use
the same code as the debug log, though perhaps interpreting "loglevel"
differently, with cpp macros determining which log calls are compiled in. Or
a better solution might be adding an "auditlevel" setting in the config that
acted much like "logevel" so that users could enable both logging types.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Peter