Re: should one single search be able to encompass several databases?

Stig Venaas wrote:

> I'm not sure if the subject is clear. The situation I'm thinking of is
> something like this:
>
> You create one database with suffix say dc=test,dc=com, and another with
> suffix dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com. If someone does a subtree search with base
> dc=test,dc=com, should the search also be done in the dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com
> database? I think maybe it should, but it doesn't now, and I suspect it's
> hard to implement. Should we implement this, or should we simply say that
> people must put it all in one database?

BTW, the I guess the most important reason for people to use different
databases for subtrees of the same naming context is partial replication.
In this sense, it might be easier to implement "selective" replication based
on the naming context: if we add a field "suffix=<naming context>" to
the "replica" statement, then only the entries whose dn has
<naming context> as ancestor could be easily replicated.

Comments?

Ando.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it