Re: CLDAP / UDP implementation and performance

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:58:11PM -0400, Eric T. Blue wrote:

> After doing some simple benchmarking using ldap:/// and ldapi:///, there was
> only a 3-5% increase in query throughput from UDP over TCP.  If this is the
> case, and assuming I'm not doing anything wrong, what was the intended
> benefit for local UDP connections?

ldapi:/// is based on UNIX domain sockets, not UDP. I think the major benefit
of ldapi:/// could be that you can use conventional UNIX permissions (which
are fast) to control access to the directory so you do not need to use ACLs
(which are slow) at all. Also, there is no possibility of a remote break-in
or DoS using ldapi:///.

Not seeing a big performance difference between ldap:/// and ldapi:/// means
that not the network bandwidth is the bottleneck in your configuration.

Gabor

--
Gabor Gombas                                       Eotvos Lorand University
E-mail: gombasg@inf.elte.hu                        Hungary