Re: About to commit removal of global_backendsync code and have one more enhancement

At 08:55 AM 6/28/2001, Randy Kunkee wrote:
>I have one more enhancement I'd like to offer.  This is a simple change
>to allow a signal to the slapd process to restart the server using the
>same arguments it was called with in the first place.

The primary reason why such changes have never been added is that
such changes tend not to be portable.  Traditional daemon restarting
mechanisms don't work well in threaded environments and can cause
resource leakage, dead lock, and other evils.

A much safer solution is to use a script to start, stop, restart
the daemon as needed and a wrapper script can also be used to
restart the server upon failure.

Kurt