running several instances of slapd

Hi all

I'm currently writing a database backend for openldap which
will get data from an application specific Oracle database.
It will be a read-only system.

My problem is that the Oracle PRO*C libraries seem not to
be thread-safe; I can't have two separate oracle sessions
in two different threads. I therefore have to compile a
single-threaded slapd server. This again means that I can
only handle one request at a time, which is totally
unacceptable for performance reasons.

There used to be an inetd mode for openldap which seems to
have gone. Is there any possibility to run different
instances of slapd on the same port, so I can handle more
than one request at a time (the system is read only and
there are no locking issues as in dbm type database systems) ?

Bye
Tim