RE: Development snapshot tarball?

Perhaps you could try the wget utility from GNU
(http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html)
to access CVSWeb.  It has the option for recursive downloads and the options
to specify which directories to recurse on (so you don't try to download
other things).

Disclaimer:  I haven't actually used it, just seen people recommend it for
other things
similar to this.