modules

This quesiton sounds a little wierd even to me.. so come; join in my fun ;-)

As I understand, openldap has a clearly defined frontend (the LDAP interface,
ldap_xxx()) and a backend (to handle the necessary operations to perform the
actions requested by he front end), designed this way so to facilitate the
straghtforward addition of additional backends.

I am building an app around ldap right now to help clients interact with a
resource server (which knows nothing of the ldap server).. and, LDAP seems like
a passive element in the mix.  The client and the resource server are the only
active parts..

My desire is to keep things as simple as possible, and have as few components as
possible.. (right now, the client, the resource server(RS), and SLAPD), yet
there are functions which must be performed, such as verifying that the data in
the directory is current with the RS, which can not be performed by a client
(the scope would be to broad), nor the RS (which has no knowledge of ldap)..

So, what I'm getting at is, would it be possible to add additional functionality
to slapd (perhaps in the form of modules) so that it could perform the the
'accounting' operations?  Put differently, a way to add new pieces to the
frontend?
Or should I add yet another entity into the mix that wraps around LDAP?  which
manages the interaction between the RS and the clients..

Thank you for making it this far, ;-)
Stephen.